Saturday, December 12, 2009

Rinse Aid Dishwasher Health

Elastigirl: "My commitment between blog, journalism, two hobbits and a husband partime"

Interview with Claudia De Lillo, financial journalist and founder of the blog "Not only Mama" , aka Elastigirl.

How did your blog ?
"The blog was born about three years ago, when I returned to work from my second maternity leave. I was a child of three years and five months and one was in a tunnel of diapers, baby food and sleepless nights. Returning to the office, I went into a tunnel just as bleak for subprime mortgages, corporate balance sheets and comments from the bag. I was afraid I would not be successful and manage this double life and, above all, I feared that no one would understand the madness. Therefore I created the blog, a gray zone, a neutral ground and untouched when I could have what you sow wanted: neuroses, but also balances the joys of my strange ménage with two children, a full-time job and a husband partime that half of his time living in London. Initially I experienced as an experiment and then as a therapeutic trial with myself: I wanted to see if anyone would come to read what I wrote, not so much that I revealed early in the existence of the blog to anyone, even my husband " .

And then what happened?
"When I opened the blog, as always happens in these cases I did not know that these developments have had and the choice not to tell anyone it was precisely dictated by the desire to leave everything to myself and to the case. Internet in this sense is a wonderful tool for someone like me, is not able to promote himself, hates the marketing and blind faith in democracy. The Internet is a democratic channel for excellence: the visits you receive are free, voluntary, free of charge. You do not need you to do anything, only work to your creature. The rest is or is not saying. After the first week in which I seemed to be a nomad in a desert world, little by little, came the first readers, the first comments. It 's been quite gradual but steady growth. When it seemed that the blog had its own, albeit small dignity, I decided to tell my husband its existence. It was encouraging and fun, though, because he is temperamentally quite critical, I said that I had to decide which would be my style, I had to find my way and I had to take a direction more clear and precise. The friends to whom I said, after some time, were much more enthusiastic and encouraging. Little by little, the blog turned into a small community of readers and regular readers and triggered a virtuous cycle for which the presence of players makes you better, to create new content and this in turn brings new visitors. After some time, came an article about a woman who spoke to me and my blog and this certainly helped a lot and since then the visibility is always increased, but without me to give me particularly to do. After exactly one year I was contacted by the publishing house that offered me tea to make a book. I was scared and very hesitant, however, was wonderful and extremely rewarding adventure. Of course everything happened a bit 'by chance, but I can not say that keeping a blog updated constantly arises linger. For me, the blog has become almost a second job over the last three years of my free time with children, especially my nights are devoted to him writing the post and the replies to any email. This have a husband who works in London more than a little help! "

Many women are approached or are approaching journalism, once a predominantly male profession, and often forego having a family for the job. You can combine journalism and private life?
"There are so many journalists, some compatible, others are not private life. Certainly it is much harder to combine work submitted, even for a day, with children who do not work for "kitchen" in the drafting of a press agency or a magazine. The hours of a newspaper, which began work in late morning and ends late in the evening, is incompatible with the schedules of a mother "standard" that wants to be a bit 'of time with his children, who may go to school and have rigid schedules and completely different. Although I believe that it is always possible to organize, delegate, divide the roles of mother and father in a less traditional, I've come to the bitter conclusion that it is extremely difficult to combine a certain type of work and family. At least it is in our society, with our schedules, our constraints and working with schools and the scarcity of facilities to help parents. So yes, you can combine a certain type of journalism and private life, but you can not combine the romantic idea of \u200b\u200bthe journalist with the traditional idea of \u200b\u200bmotherhood. "

Mothers, especially Italian, live their relationship with their children exclusively and fathers often feel "cut off". An opinion about your ...
"I think things are changing and more and more fathers are very involved in looking after young children and, later, as they grow. Personally, aside from the fact that my husband three or four days a week away on business, I consider it absolutely interchangeable and I see many couples of friends who live in similar situations. As the father must learn to consider its role exactly equal to that of the mother, it also must learn to delegate and not always easy. But I am confident that the direction in which we are going to be the right one. "

In an interview you said: "I pretend to live in a period of transition, waiting to find alternative models." What would it be?
"model in which the timing of the work to be more attentive to the needs of the private life of mothers and fathers, in which the parttime not considered a taboo, in which day-care centers do not throw the children out at 4 afternoon and the schools close three months in summer. Models that take into account the fact that you can not rely on multitasking moms acrobats and the whole society would benefit from policies that are more benevolent towards their children. We must stop delegating the proper functioning of society to the family and goodwill to the carrying capacity of women. And 'the effort to make life a bit' easier, as is the case in other countries, including France and Scandinavia, where it is no coincidence, are more children. "

0 comments:

Post a Comment